|Introduction and Institutions|
|The United States in a Global Economy||
|International Economic Institutions Since WWII||
|Comparative Advantage and Gains from Trade||
|Comparative Advantage and Factor Endowments||
|Beyond comparative Advantage||
|The Theory and Tariffs and Quotas||
|International Trade and Labor and Environmental Standards||
|Trade and the balance of Payments||
|Exchange Rates and Exchange Rate systems||
- The United States in a Global Economy
- Gerber, Ch. 1. [15p]
- Economist, “Signs of Life,” The Economist, November 15, 2014.
- Economics Focus, “Why the tail wags the dog: Emerging economies now have greater heft on many measures than developed ones,” The Economist, August 6, 2011.
- International Economic Institutions
- Comparative Advantage and the Gains from Trade
- Gerber, Ch. 3. (but omit pp. 45-51) [16p]
- Dizikes, Peter, “Economists Find Evidence for Famous Hypothesis of ‘Comparative Advantage’,” MIT News Office, June 20, 2012. [2p]
- Brooks, Arthur C., “Don’t Live Simply” Forbes.com, September 15, 2008.
- Bivens, L. Josh, “Marketing the Gains from Trade,” Issue Brief #233, Economic Policy Institute, June 19, 2007.
- Prestowitz, Clyde, “The Losses of Trade,” Huffington Post, September 29, 2011.
- Comparative Advantage and Factor Endowments
- Gerber, Ch. 4, pp. 63-65, 68-73 [16p]
- Bivens, L. Josh, “Globalization and American Wages: Today and Tomorrow,” Briefing Paper #196, Economic Policy Institute, October 10, 2007
- Beyond Comparative Advantage – The New Trade Theory
- Gerber, Ch. 5, pp. 92-98 [7p]
- Krugman, Paul R., “Is Free Trade Passé?“, Journal of Economic Perspectives 1, Fall 1987, pp. 131-144
- The Theory of Tariffs and Quotas
- Commercial Policy
- Gerber, Ch. 7, pp. 136-148 [13p]
- .Hufbauer, Gary Clyde and Jeffrey J. Schott, “Buy American: Bad for Jobs, Worse for Reputation,” PIIE Policy Brief No. PB09-2, February 2009
- Lindsey, Brink and Daniel J. Ikenson, “Coming Home to Roost: Proliferating Anti-Dumping Laws and the Threat to U.S. Exports,” Cato Trade Policy Analysis No. 14, Executive Summary only, July 30, 2001
- International Trade and Labor and Environmental Standards
- Gerber, Ch. 8 [20p]
- Krugman, Paul, “Climate, Trade, Obama,” The Conscience of a Liberal, NY Times blog, June 29, 2009.
- Reuters, “China denounces carbon tariff idea ahead of Copenhagen,” December 4, 2009.
- Jones, Laura, “Should Environmentalists Support Free Trade?” Fraser Forum, The Fraser Institute, December 1999.
- Narlikar, Amrita, “Don’t blame the brands,” Prospect, April 2, 2013.
- Trade and Balance of Payments
- Gerber, Ch. 9 [28p]
- Edwards, Sebastian, “America’s Unsustainable Current Account Deficit,” digest by Matthew Davis, July 28, 2006, of “Is the U.S. Current Account Deficit Sustainable? And If So How Costly Is Adjustment Likely to Be?” (NBER Working Paper No. 11541) NBER Website.
- Buffett, Warren E., “America’s Growing Trade Deficit Is Selling the Nation Out From Under Us. Here’s a Way to Fix the Problem-And We Need to Do It Now,” Fortune, November 10, 2003.
- Scott, Robert E., “Trade deficit with Mexico has resulted in 682,900 U.S. jobs lost or displaced,” Economic Snapshot, Economic Policy Institute, October 12, 2011.
- Griswold, Daniel T., “Are Trade Deficits Good for the U.S. Economy?” The Globalist, Feb. 15, 2005.
- Exchange Rates
- Gerber, Ch. 10, pp. 209-226
- Economist, “The Big Mac index: A basket of sliders,” The Economist, July 26, 2014.